Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Book Review!


Green Housekeeping by Ellen Sandbeck       

I -heart- this book.  In fact, I am not sure how I started the journey to Simple and Green Living without it.  I've had my copy since October and already it's beat up, dog eared, post it notes sticking out of it, wrinkled pages and all! 

This book goes through the average house, one room at a time, and details the best way to detox and green your home through natural methods and with natural products.  The author also recommends alternatives to household items that are overly toxic.  

Did you know that the average kitchen sponge harbors E. coli, salmonella, pseudomonas, and staphylococcus?  Uh....and you WASH YOUR DISHES WITH THAT?  Those cellulose sponges are the perfect incubators for bacteria because bacteria cannot survive more than a few hours on a dry surface, and sponges rarely dry out.  I know that some think that microwaving the sponge kills the bacteria, but it doesn't, it just splits the colonies into more colonies and well....it goes downhill from there. 

Anyway, I highly recommend this book for anyone who is making the attempt at going green.  I  have used most of the home made cleaning supplies taught in the book and will continue to do so in order to detox my home and improve our health.




No comments:

Post a Comment