Saturday, February 18, 2012

Homemade Laundry Soap

Since I got my Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer two years ago, I had been using Method Free and Clear laundry detergent.  It is a little on the spendy side, but it does last forever.  The instructions say to use four pumps per load, but I really only used two per load and the clothes were still nice and clean.  It just seemed that four was leaving the clothes a little -too- soapy for me and my sensitive skin.

I have been reading a lot about home made laundry soap in my crafty lady group on Facebook, and also on Pinterest and decided that I wanted to try it.  So after reading many many recipes, I finally decided on the following:

Laundry Soap

Fels Naptha, Ivory, or other bar soap of choice
20 Mule Team Borax
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda

First I gathered all of my ingredients.  I got them all at Kroger (our local grocery store) for around $6.00 together.  I actually already had the borax and washing soda, so I only spent $0.99 on the Fels Naptha today.

I grated the bar soap using the small grater holes on my cheese grater.  I only grated about half of the bar, which was about a cup, because I just wanted to make a small batch in case I ended up not liking the soap or had a reaction to it or something.  And as I grated, I realized that I really need a nice box grater, because this little one I have is just a pain in the rear to grate with!

After grating the cup of soap, I poured it into a clean, empty yogurt container.  Added in equal parts borax and washing soda, and then stirred it up with a fork.  It wasn't stirring to my liking, so I just snapped the lid on and shook the heck out of the mixture.

And here is the finished product.  It fills about 3/4 of the yogurt container.  Oh my gosh it smells so good.  I was really hesitant about the scent of the Fels Naptha, but it really grew on me!

I just tossed my first load of laundry in with two tablespoons of the mixture, so I suppose we will see how it turns out in about 40 minutes!  So far, in looking through the window, it doesn't appear to be sudsing too much.  Actually, it doesn't appear to be sudsing at all...but it could also be the glare off of the front of the washer so I can't see it at all.  We'll see how it smells and feels when it comes out!

This soap, on top of the use of the dryer balls, should cut a good deal out of my shopping budget and energy use over time, which is exactly what I was going for!

No comments:

Post a Comment