Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Oil Cleansing Method

I first read about the Oil Cleansing Method on this blog a few weeks ago.  I will admit that I was very, very hesitant to try it.  Cleaning your face with oil?  It didn't sound right at all.

Then I got to thinking about it, and realized that my absolute favorite moisturizer is made of organic Argan oil from Everyday Minerals.  So what the heck?  It couldn't hurt to at least give it a try.  So I gathered my ingredients:

Pretty simple ingredients!  Extra virgin olive oil and castor oil.  I think the EVOO cost $8.99 (but I already had it in the pantry because we cook with it all the time!), and the bottle of castor oil was $4.99 at Walgreens.  I had previously seen it cheaper and in a much bigger bottle at Wal-Mart, but I didn't buy it at the time because I generally don't buy things at Wal-Mart because of personal feelings towards the place.  Walgreens just happened to be convenient at the time, and unfortunately, you pay for convenience.  I'm sure it could be found at just any old grocery or health food store at a more reasonable price.  And I found that it is usually sold on the bottom shelf for some reason.... :)

Hubs stopped at Michaels Arts & Crafts for me this evening after dinner and I picked up a package of six plastic squeeze bottles with flip top lids- like the small bottles of acrylic craft paint come in- for $2.99.  I thought these would be good for mixing the oils in and storing them, since I didn't want to make too much in case I either hated it, or didn't want to store it for very long.

I used a small funnel and poured three tablespoons of EVOO and one tablespoon of castor oil into the bottle, screwed the lid on nice and tight and shook it really well.  After the oils were poured in, the castor oil just sat on top of the EVOO until I shook it.  It seems to have stayed mixed so far, but if yours does separate, just give the bottle a good shake before using!  So here is my finished cleaner in the bottle.

According to all of the blogs that I have read about the OCM, you're supposed to rub a quarter sized amount of the oil into your skin and let it sit for a few moments before putting a steaming washcloth over your face for a minute.  Then rinse the washcloth and wipe the rest of the oil off.  I've found that I don't need to use ANY make up remover at all with this method.  The oils easily remove any makeup, mascara, eyeliner, etc- without the stingy burning of regular make up remover!  I had absolutely no problem getting all of the mineral make up I wear off of my skin either.  After using the washcloth to remove the rest of the oil, I don't even have to moisturize!  My skin feels soft, and doesn't feel tight, and I absolutely swear by this cleaning method now.  Try it, you'll love it!

Updated to add:  I added a few drops of lavender essential oil and tea tree oil to my mixture mostly to combat the scent of the castor oil...which I promptly decided that I did not like!  Though the lavender and TTO are both great for your skin, so it doesn't hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment