Monday, March 12, 2012

DIY Non-toxic carpet powder

I like my house smelling fresh and clean.  Who doesn't?  It's hard to do sometimes because of my three cats, despite cleaning the litter box twice a day (and adding a generous shake of baking soda to it each time) and vacuuming regularly.  I had been buying Arm and Hammer Carpet Deodorizer for pets, but its expensive and honestly I didn't really like the way it smelled.  Even when I didn't use it on the carpet, I could still smell it in the vacuum. 

So I decided to make my own carpet powder/deodorizer.  Of course I did!  First, I gathered my ingredients:

Baking soda
Lavender essential oil
A clean, empty, plastic shaker bottle- this one used to be home to Kraft shredded Parmesan cheese

I poured my baking soda into an empty plastic container.  I didn't really measure.  That's a 12 oz container and its mostly full.  This definitely was not an exact science kind of project!

Next, I added about 20 drops of lavender essential oil to the mix.

It's a little hard to see the oil because it's clear and the powder is white, but you get the idea.  I used a fork and mixed the oil into the baking soda, breaking up the lumps the best I could as I stirred.  I took a good whiff of the mix and decided it didn't smell lavender-y enough for me, so I added in another 20 or so drops of essential oil and mixed thoroughly. 

It took a while to break up the lumps, but I got them mixed into the baking soda the best that I could.  It was still a little lumpy, but it still will work.

Here is the finished product.  It filled up the shaker about 3/4 of the way, which gives room to give the powder a good shake to break up any lumps that might form as it settles. 

Sprinkle over your carpets, wait five to ten minutes and the vacuum it up!  Voila!  Non-toxic and fresh smelling....for pennies compared to buying carpet deodorizer at the grocery store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment