Saturday, March 17, 2012

Switching To Cloth

Hubs and I made the decision a while back to make the switch to cloth in our house.  No more paper towels, no more paper napkins...the only thing that is safe is toilet paper....Haha!

About a year ago I stopped buying paper towels for the house.  We used the huge package of rolls that we had, and the gigantic box of shop towels that we had in the garage before we made the full conversion.  Instead of paper I started using microfiber cloths that were bought at Sams Club.  I probably have fifty of them, and I just throw the dirties into a plastic bucket on top of the washing machine when I am done, and wash them once a week. 

Cloth napkins have been a little more difficult.  I bought this fabric out of the clearance bin at Wal-Mart (ugh) about a year ago.  They were fat quarters, and only $0.50 a piece, so there wasn't going to be too much lost if they didn't work out.  I washed and dried the fabric on hot to shrink it since it is 100% cotton, then cut it to size. 

The fabric sat ironed, folded, and ignored in a basket on the kitchen counter for a year!  I dreaded turning those raw edges to stitch, and even more, I dreaded trying to use my roll hem foot on my sewing machine to try and hem them.  I thought about just zig zagging, but the fraying would have driven me insane.

And then today, hubs bought me a serger.  TA DA!  I zipped around those edges in no time while I was watching a DVR'ed episode of Grey's Anatomy...and all of a sudden we have 13 cloth napkins.  I am exceedingly pleased with them!  They're not perfect, by any means, but they are just one more finished step towards a more green life! 

Aren't they pretty?  I decided while making them that some linen napkins and hand made napkin rings would make a great gift, don't you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment